Friday, February 11, 2011

February 5

Saturday was the 100th day (by my count) and therefore we needed to finish. So we had a bar crawl, while never leaving Thames Street in Fells Point. Worked out pretty well.

#91 - The Point
A more upscale bar located on the corner of Ann and Thames. We started here around 2:30 in the afternoon, leaving the car in a safe place. I had a Boh (bottle, I don't think they had the draft yet) and we made it a short stop. Despite several folks expressing interest it was only Jon and I for most of the crawl.


#92 - John Steven Ltd.
Directly across Ann Street is John Steven, a nice enough looking place. Rumors are always that people have seen Michael Phelps here, but it was half empty or less on a Saturday afternoon at 3. We though about eating, but decided to eat at Slainte, which was the next stop, back toward the square in Fells.

#93 - Slainte
An Irish pub. Yes, that's right I went to an Irish Pub. First time that has happened. Or not. Slainte has good food and nice beer, and you will probably wind up seeing Gaelic Football or Hurling at some point on the TVs. We wound up back here later on the evening when a band was playing and it was good times. Nothing like back-tracking on a bar crawl.

#94 - The Whistling Oyster
Various friend have worked here or still work here, but somehow we chose to not visit the joint until the very end. I had a Raging Bitch, which might have been counter productive since it's a rather strong beer. There was a band setting up right by the door, but we didn't get to escape before they started playing. The Oyster is off Thames Street, technically on Broadway, but really on the Fells Point Square.

#95 - The Horse You Came In On
I have been calling this place the Horse You Rode In On, which is not quite correct. It is notable for being the last place where Poe was drinking before he was found delirious in the streets of Baltimore, but who knows. It surely wasn't called the Horse You Came In On at that point, and it certainly didn't have a lame western theme. There was a guy with a guitar playing Sublime songs (pretty well, actually) and a few bottles of Jack Daniels on a shelf, but nowhere near One Eyed Mikes down the street.

#96 - Shucker's
A sports bar and seafood place located on the water away from Thames Street was our next stop. I did occasionally eat lunch here for half price burgers, but I don't really do that anymore. The one guy working was very excited about the bar tour and told me I should continue on in Annapolis in the future. I think we had Boh on draft here and Danny showed up to hit a couple of stops with us.

#97 - Woody's Rum Bar
Located upstairs from Slainte was a Florida themed bar. I was excited about the view, but it wasn't anything spectacular. I do think I spilled some of my drink on their nice couches (oops). There were just a few other people in the place, so had our drink and moved on to the next stop.

#98 - Ledbetter's
A bar that consider to be hidden in plain sight. Located right across the square at the center of everything, Ledbetter's seems more like a liquor store, but it was in fact a full bar. Danny came in with us but disappeared shortly after we arrived. A decent band with a female drummer was playing. We had a drink and the next stop was back toward the Horse You Came In On.

#99 - Duda's Tavern
An Oyster bar located on the corner of Bond Street, Duda's seems like a decent neighborhood place. We had our drinks and played the 'crack' machine as Jon calls them. Getting a little restless I texted my friend Grant from the footy team and we invited him down, but decided to go where he was:

#100 - The Greene Turtle
Yes, after spending 100 days avoided the Greene Turtle like the plague it gets the honor of being #100. Planning goes out the window after 10 stops and we met Grant and his flatmates here. I think it was once we were inside I realized it was going to be #100. But that was the fun of the tour. Jon had already been to the Frederick Greene Turtle on the previous bar crawl after I bailed for the Government Issue show. So we had a drink and then moved to the end of the Street for #101. The Dead End of the street, that is...



#101 - Dead End Saloon
Dead End is another of the type of places that inspired me to do my tour. Located off the beaten path on Fell Street, around the corner from Red Star, it was a fitting place to end the tour. I believe I had a beverage of some kind and we still were hanging with Grant. We also made a few stops after Dead End, but they were repeats, so obviously they didn't count. Amazing there were still several places in Fells that we had not visited, including Cat's Eye Pub, Riptide By the Bay, Rodos (The Greene Turtle East basically), and the unnamed place around the corner from Dead End and Red Star.

Postmortem:
After 100 days and 101 bars, one would think I would want to take a month off before going out, but Sunday was the Super Bowl and I've been dying to try the Bull and Oyster roast at The Bay Cafe, so I lazed about the whole day and then walked Zuni to my car and afterward went there. Food was very good and the Packers won, so it was a good time. Technically it was 102 bars in 101 days. And so it continues. I also signed up for the 100 beer club at Mahaffrey's so at least I'm working toward a 100 of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment