Saturday, February 5, 2011

January 27 - February 4

I am writing this in preparation for the final day of my bar tour. I started on October 29th, visiting four bar on a Friday night, not really sure if it was a good idea to even attempt this. But now 100 days later, I'm very glad I came up with this nutty premise.



#80 - 13.5% Wine Bar

The only 'wine bar' on the list, this is an upscale place in Hampden. I did have a glass of wine, although their beer selection looked quite good. The pork belly sliders weren't the best thing i've ever eaten (and I was hoping they would be). We had our wine and then moved on to the next stop. Located on the Avenue - Thursday.


#81 - Rocket to Venus
A decent hipster bar located off the Avenue in Hampden. Rocket has a good jukebox and decent ambiance, so we stayed a little longer than we should have. The bar was actually full and we had to hang in a booth until the crowd dissipated. I had been here before randomly in 2009 or something. Still a decent amount of weather, which had interrupted progress the day previous. My power was out for 11 hours, so I didn't want to leave the animals in the house with no power. But I would have wound up at the Murphy's anniversary party if I had left the house, so who knows what progress I really would have made. Located on Chestnut Street - Thursday.


Confusing PBR ad.

The ceiling is a bit low...
#82 - Quarry House Tavern
Your typical subterranean Silver Spring bar with a good beer and spirit selection that also has Sunday punk matinees. The food looked like it was pretty good as well. I had a Red Hook and a tall PBR can while watching friend's bands play a show. The always entertaining Copstabber was followed by the Spitfires United reuniting and doing a half Cock Sparer cover set. Which was just awesome. Located on Georgia Ave - Sunday.

#83 - Ryan's Daughter

I had initially bought a groupon to the Egyptian Pizza place in Belvidere Square in an attempt to make progress and save a little $, but it was a BYO place so we had to branch out in order to achieve the all-important progress. Ryan's Daughter is a nice Irish Pub, I had been before to eat, but we strictly sat at the bar. The most important revelation is they have Kilkenny. A creamy light beer, it's something I drank quite a bit when I was in Australia. Also, they sold it in Montreal when we were there in 2007 or 2008. But it's not widely available here. So it might be worth the trip for that face alone. Located on Belvidere Ave - Monday.

#84 - Brewer's Art
It's only right that we hit up Brewer's Art in Mount Vernon during the course of the 100 bars. I drank my share of Resurrection in a can while out and about the last three months. So we went down after a few at Ryan's Daughter. Time and money dictated that we only had one, but there was a nice crowd and I wouldn't have minded if we hang around a little longer. Also located below grade and had good food, I believe. They were hyping the arrival of Natty Boh on draught, which will be discussed later. Located on Charles Street - Monday.

#85 - Verizon Center
The home of the Washington Capitals, Wizards, Georgetown Hoyas, and more. We went down after work to see the Capitals play the Montreal Canadiens (a rematch of last year's playoffs). It was much the same result, with Montreal winning in an overtime shootout. In typical sports area fashion, the cheap beers were 7 dollars and good beers were 8., so we had a good beer. Located on F Street in Chinatown - Tuesday.

#86 - Bertha's Mussels

A bit of an institution on the square in Fells Point, Bertha's makes it's belated debut at number 86. A nice place for post-club, we stopped in and had a pint, and some mussels, of course. They were very good, naturally, but there was some sort of oompa band setting up (complete with a tuba and such) so we fled to Murphys for the rest of the night. Located on Broadway - Wednesday.

#87 - Jaleo
One of the better regarded restaurants in DC, I hit up Jaleo with my greyhound friends. Including a new one, Vanitha from California who was in town. The meal was very good and the drinks did flow. I did especially like the sangria. Funny thing is Jaleo is right down the street from Verizon Center, where I had been only two days earlier. After a recommendation from my friend Collen we walked up a few blocks and went to Matchbox. Located on F Street - Thursday

#88 - Matchbox
A nice Chinatown gastro pub. We moved the festivities up here and enjoyed the beer selection. I had a Bell's (which I previously had at #66) and there was also a nice-looking black lager. The pizzas looked great and every one was hypnotized by the sliders (except for the vegetarian). Having a long drive ahead of me (in which 295 was closed completely for at least 10 minutes) we called it a night and I headed back. Located on H Street - Thursday.

#88a - The Sidebar Tavern
I feel a bit guilty about how the Sidebar was treated at number 64. It should have been with a big group of people I know, and ideally at a show, either playing or where good friends were playing. I am almost tempted to remove the Sidebar and renumber. But I'll just add an asterisk of sorts here. We actually did go to a show, but more importantly we went for the tapping kegs of Natty Boh party. After some 15 years (mostly the time i've been a legal drinker) Pabst has brought back draught Boh. So the Sidebar, being a place where Boh is consume in mass quantities, was one of the first places to have it. And they had a party. The first one was on the house, even. And my friends Danny, Tom, Dan, and Scotty were there to partake. And later there was a Copstabber show, so it was a full evening. Because

#89 - Bistro R
Another spot that has had a lot of turnover (like #67), this is a nice place right on the corner of Patterson Park. My friends Tina and Eric live nearby so they were the ones to suggest going here. We met and a had a nice meal (they have recently upgraded chefs) and a few drinks. I had not been to any of the previous incarnations of the place, but it's now owned by a consortium of locals, and that's very cool. The neighborhood was there supporting their own. Located on Linwood - Friday.

#90 - Roman's Place
For the final stop before the final day, Tina and Eric recommended this neighborhood place just a couple blocks up from Bistro R. A pretty cool, funky bar with some nice history and a resident cat. We had a quick drink and watched the Caps beat the Lightning before heading back to the Sidebar for the show. So now, i'm at 90 and killing time before I start the Fells Point crawl which will get me to 100 (hopefully). Located on Decker Street - Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment