Friday, January 21, 2011

January 11 - January 15

Trying to backfill, and expanding into new territory.


#59 - Baltimore Taphouse
At one point this place was called Growlers. With named like the Taphouse you'd expect a nice beer selection and it was decent. Tuesday night when we went was fairly snowy, and parking was difficult. It was trivia night, but we filled out half the questions and then left, which seemed to offend them. Initial we were set to go to Annabel Lee, but it was pretty packed so we killed some time at the Taphouse and then moved down the street. Located on Fleet, just off the Park.



#60 - Annabel Lee Tavern
The Poe-themed corner tavern in Brewer's Hill. A very nice place. Resurrection on tap and duck fat fries meant a good time. The crowd was thinning out after the dinner hour, but we still have enough to amuse us. The 'review' on the zagat page 'had' too many 'quotes.' Visited on a Tuesday - located on Fleet and Clinton.

#61 - Mama's on the Half Shell
Oddly located two doors down from Nacho Mama's (with a yet unvisited bar in between) this is a more upscale Mama's establishment. Having started the evening at Mahaffrey's (#29) this was the only progress on Wednesday. While at Mahaffrey's we started the 100 beers club--coming soon to a blog near you. I managed to spill my drink and I'm not sure what other trouble we got into. Some girls came in late and were talking about an early flight to Florida the next day. We unsuccessfully tried to convince them to stay up all night. Located on the square in Canton


#62 - Elliott's Pour House
A neighborhood spot on the far side of Brewer's Hill, this was a good find. Went early on Friday and caught some of the hockey game. The crowd seemed to be 'regulars,' and the bartender asked my name and shook my hand. Left intending to head to the Sidebar for a show, but made a stop on the way. Located on Hudson Street.


#63 - Sharky's Bar and Grill
Sharky's is somewhat of a sports bar located right on the park. It sponsors a lot of social football and kickball teams, and I frequently see them hanging out there when I drive by. Met up with Big Brian who was drinking with some coworkers. We did, in fact, leave for the Sidebar, but wound up back there after having another drink or two. Located on Eastern Ave - Friday.


(from the Midnight Sun blog in the Baltimore Sun)
#64 - Sidebar Tavern
Five years ago this would have probably been the first bar on the list. But a dip in Scheduled Beating's activity and activity of the scene overall means months between stops in the downtown home of punk rock in Baltimore. Could have gone back in mid-December, but it was in the middle of the ankle problems. We went inside and paid for the show, ordered a drink. Then got to looking around and decided the show was not happening. First clue was the fact that no bands were playing. Also the facts that no bands seemed like they were playing anytime soon. Turns out the show was at the Ottobar and I had my details all wrong. Oh, well. On the corner of Lexington and Guilford - across from City Hall - and 'as seen on The Wire.'


#65 - Thaitanic II
One thing about living in Baltimore that I wish was different is the Thai food. Working in Alexandria, there were about 8 places that I could get above average Thai food for lunch. Currently I don't approve of any of the places I've tried around here. So when I visited my sister in DC, we wound up here at Thaitanic II. The first try was a Vietnamese place that was small and busy so we kept going up the street past the Tivoli and stopped here. Nice bar and really good food. I had the obligatory Singha. Located on 14th Street and Newton NW - Saturday.

#66 - Tonic
A short walk from my sister's condo is Mount Pleasant, so we headed over to a typical DC bar for a quick drink. I think the owners were from the Midwest cause they had a bunch of Midwest beers. I had a Bell's from Michigan and my sister had a pear cider. A large group was watching the playoff game at nearby tables, being very loud. I think there were people cheering for Green Bay and for Atlanta in the party. I feel bad for the Atlanta fans. Located on Mt. Pleasant Street, near Lamont - Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment